Friday 23 May 2014

The Amazing Spider Man 2 Film Review

Film: The Amazing Spider Man 2 (2014) 
Genre: Comic Book Film, Action, Adventure, Fantasy. 




The Amazing Spider Man 2 Film Review 

When I first heard about the Spider Man franchise getting rebooted, my initial reaction was that it was unnecessary. Spider Man 3 had only come out 5 years beforehand – a reboot was not needed. However, I went to see it anyway and I loved it. I thought it was witty and I thought Garfield did a great job (Maguire’s performance sometimes came off as to cheesy for me).

When the trailer for the second film came out, I was excited since I enjoyed the first one so much but the trailer really underwhelmed me. Seriously, for the first few months, I wasn’t excited for the new film at all. But then of course, the trailer was shoved in my face about a billion times and I started getting excited for it. So congratulations marketing, your plan worked!

Now, when I saw the first film I had visited IMDB and discovered that apparently this version was a lot closer to the comics and I knew what was going to happen at the end. You may get where I’m going with this…
How is she not freaking out about plummeting to her death on the top of a building?! 
The film begins the same way every single trailer that I have seen does, with Peter as Spider Man and falling to the ground. I don’t know why this insignificant detail really bothered me but I was just hoping for something that I hadn’t seen a million times already. Anyway, the film really kicks off when Peter runs into the villain of our story, who then goes onto get electrocuted by eels. Gross. Our villain is ignored and unloved by pretty much everyone who he encounters except for spidey. Spider Man is nice to him and all of a sudden he is obsessed. Once Max is electrocuted by the slimy things he becomes Electro.

The biggest thing I was disappointed about when I first saw the trailer was the villain, I thought he looked a little rubbish. I have to say, I quite liked the villain in the film though. He showed real sadness at the beginning that then became angrier and in turn more powerful when everyone was hating on him. My biggest problem with Max is the motive is pretty weak. The guy realises that he isn’t all that special to Spider Man so therefore has this obsessive need to kill him. Okay then. 

This shit just ain't gonna fly. 
This is the same for Harry Osbourne which can I just say, is one of the creepiest people I have ever had to watch on the screen. Seriously, his mere presence was creeping me out. Honestly, I didn’t see much point to Harry in this film. I much preferred James Franco’s Harry (probably one of the only things that I like more from the original). His motive to go all villain on us was also incredibly weak. Spider Man wouldn’t give him his blood, ya know in case it killed him and all and so Harry tries to kill him instead. Good one, Harry.

Harry obviously went on to become the Green Goblin in the film for all of five minutes and I also preferred the originals version of this.  Willem Defoe really knocked it out of the park for me, his expressions and voice was so cold and scary! I was about ten at the time though I am pretty sure it would still creep me out now. The Green Goblin was a real let down for me in this.

I think I prefer Chucky. 
I’ve hardly spoken about Gwen/Emma and that’s probably because thinking about it, she really doesn’t do much in the film, not until the end anyway. She’s really there for Peter to moon over in between attacks and fight scenes. I was disappointed that the two weren’t together but their scenes were good. My only point is, everyone hates an on/off relationship – why would you want to watch one on the screen as entertainment?

Despite the fact that the motives were weak for the villains, I thoroughly enjoyed this film! I want to go see it again! Gwen becomes a lot more useful in the last battle as Peter has to battle Electro and then Green Goblin pretty much straight after. The problem was with this part, I remembered what happened in the comics and I spent the next ten minutes wondering if Marvel had the balls to actually do it. They did. And I sobbed.

Even sexy people have ugly crying faces. 
I cannot wait for this film to be released on DVD so I can go out, buy it and watch it a couple hundred times! 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment